“From Struggle to Success” Fairy tales do exist
Fairy tales do exist. And while it is highly unlikely to catch a glimpse of a flying dragon, you will definitely be able to fulfill your dreams and to build up your own castle. To read ‘castle’ as a start-up company which has been steadily growing into a successful business.
This story is about Juliet Dillon Clark, founder of Winsome Media Group (www. winsomemediagroup.com). When Juliet was making her first steps in the self-publishing world she needed someone who could guide her and help her achieve the goals she set for herself and her work. As a smart and innovative person, she quickly realized that there was something this business was lacking – a clear and reasonable approach and transparent guidance.
Ever since she trusted her instincts and combined her passion for books with her knowledge and business flair she published eight books and became a recognized coach, who advise other self-publishing authors on how to build their author platforms and gain readership. Even if you have already outgrown the fairytale age, do read what Juliet has to share about her success. Who knows, you may find out that there is no age when it comes to following your dreams and building castles.
1. What is your idea/ business about? How the idea was born?
My company is a self- publishing company that also focuses on author -platform building. After I wrote my first book, I used a well- known self- publishing company and the experience was awful. There was virtually no customer service and they kept trying to upsell me on promotional products. The worst was when I realized that the book cost was marked up so high, that I received very little of the profits. The self- publishing company ended up with most of it. My thought was that I was investing in myself and the profits should stay in my pocket. The more I spoke with other authors, the more I was convinced that I needed to start my own company that catered to helping authors produce their books and keep more of their profits.
2. Tell me about yourself and your team?
I am the author of 8 books and coach authors on how to build their author platforms. Many authors write their books and assume they will have an audience. Me and my team work to help authors understand that audience building is a task that begins even before you write the book so you have a base of readers. My staff is customer service oriented and we work hard to make sure that the book is produced the way the author intended.
3. What are the main struggles that you have experienced?
We had two main problems that we faced.
- Finding good staff to work with. We did this by trial and error. It is a difficult task to find quality cover designers, editors, and formatters.
- Stressing the importance of audience building to the authors.
4. How did you solve your problems?
- Trial and error finding and keeping good people.
- Education and talking to the public about the importance of building and audience and the techniques involved. Everyone wants to use the Internet as a free resource but doesn’t understand that much of that free information is written by people who have not achieved an audience of their own or in some cases have never published themselves.
5. If you had a chance what would you do in differently?
I would have started the company earlier than I did. It started out as a hobby. I was publishing for my friends and not really treating it like a business.
6. What was the best advice you got and what was the worst?
The best advice I got was to hire a business coach, which I did and my business took off.
The worst advice I got was that I shouldn’t go into this business, because I couldn’t compete with the big guys.
7. What will be your advice to the other entrepreneurs?
If you are passionate about something, stick with it. Know that every business has a learning curve and the more you grow and learn as an individual, the more your company will thrive.
If you want to learn more about the company, you are more than welcome to contact them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you enjoyed reading this story and if you want to share your own great story, please contact us at: email@example.com
July 22, 2016